Thursday, October 18, 2012

Loki

I know that this may be a random thing to post, since it's not specifically about the baby, but I'm slightly worried about how Loki is going to deal with this change in her life.  She's always been an anxious little dog and tends to have a hard time adjusting to new things (like if we drive her anywhere she hasn't been before she gets sick in the car).

The first thing that seemed to grab her attention that things were changing was when we moved the desks out of the second bedroom (Taylor's desk is now in our bedroom and mine is in a closet since I rarely use it anyway.)  We could tell that the furniture being out of place tipped her off that something was happening.  We also recently took a chair that's in our bedroom and moved it into Taylor's parents basement to make more space.  This was the chair that she used to jump up onto our bed (one of her favorite chill spots during the day and when I'm in the shower in the morning.)  We left the ottoman that goes with the chair in place so she can still get herself up to the bed, but it's still different and she can tell.

She seemed to get a little freaked out when Taylor was setting up the Pack-n-Play, so we decided to put her in it to show her it wasn't scary.  She was less than amused. . . .
Another thing that I wonder about for people with dogs is, how do you teach the dog which toys belong to them and which belong to the baby?  Loki has always been very simple in her toy preferences.  She has a couple plastic balls she bats around, occasionally a rope she chews on, and she likes to eat her little rawhide bones.  We never really buy her stuffed things because she chews them up in 5 minutes.

We've gotten a few toys so far for the baby.  I put them in a basket that was under the crib.  Taylor witnessed the other day Loki crawling under the crib and scratching at the basket.  When the baby starts playing with things that look fun to her I hate to scold her like she's doing something wrong, but we obviously can't have her eating all of the baby toys either.

I'm sure we'll figure this out one day at a time once Baby Rollo is here, but I do love our dog and I want her to adjust well to this change in her life.  She's had domain over everything on the floor for the past 5 years and I know she's going to be less than thrilled with having to share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment