I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but Gabriel turned into a toddler. It feels like it was overnight actually. He's walking around everywhere, eating practically everything that we eat, and trying so hard to communicate. He still really hasn't said any words (although he said "Dada" a couple times when looking at Taylor. . .but then he didn't do it again). I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to know exactly what you want and not have anyone that understands you.
Lately I'm finding the things that make him laugh really funny: he laughs playing peek-a-boo (especially under the dining room table), he laughs when he's being chased around in circles downstairs, he laughs at "playing ball" with Loki, he laughs when you hold him by the feet and swing him around. He's also pretty ticklish around his ribs. Hearing his little laugh is still the best sound in the world.
As the picture above demonstrates, he has a couple new eating habits. He likes to put his head sideways like this while he's having a meal. Not sure what that's about but it seems to amuse him. He's also gotten to the point where he wants to share his food. It's really sweet when he reaches out for you to take a bite of whatever he has. And while I'm glad he wants to share, when it's a mangled and slobbery piece of an animal cracker it's hard to want a bite for myself ;) He's pretty good about eating just about anything too. This week getting him to eat protein is a bit of a challenge. For some reason even peanut butter isn't something he wants. But what will he always eat? Fruits and vegetables. He chose peas and carrots over his spaghetti the other day. I'm not sure what's up with that, but I'm not complaining either.
So, what keeps Gabriel amused these days? Well, remote controls (as always), mega-blocks, wooden puzzles, shape sorters, taking DVDs off of the shelf and "reading" the covers, and BOOKS. I feel like he could sit and be read to all day long. He loves these little Dr. Seuss board books that he has. And if I'm doing something else I just can't resist when he runs up squealing with delight holding a book over his head. I also think it's cute that when I sit down on the floor he many times will climb into my lap with one.
Another fun thing we've starting doing is going to Romp N Roll. He takes a class on Mondays with about 6 other kids about his age. They read a story, sing songs, and mostly run around in a little foam gym. They have open gym hours too so I can take him and let him run around. It's hard to know what to do when it's cold (or snowing a lot like the last couple weeks). Our go-to things are Romp N Roll, the library, and now the mall. We went today and I just let him walk around. He had a good time wandering through the stores and checking things out. On most days if I don't go somewhere with him we get a little stir crazy.
As the picture below will demonstrate, this kid needs a haircut. I'm going to try and remedy that this week. He has a little baby mullet. The front is a little long, but manageable. The back is another story. There is 1 layer that is longer than the rest. For a while it was doing this cute curly thing, but now is just poofs out.
Hmmm. . .what else. Having a child is exhausting. There, I said it. I love spending time with him and playing, but sometimes I just want it to be quiet. Sometimes I feel bad because I'm tired and I don't want to read him another story. I want to lay on the couch and do nothing. I want to sleep in (by the way, Taylor tried to let me do this a couple times. I still woke up early. I guess that's how it goes). I want to be selfish and do what I want all day. I don't want to have to fix him every meal. I don't want to deal with his tantrums over random things like not being able to play in the refrigerator, not getting to play in the dog bowl, or not being able to pull clothes off the racks in the store. Learning to disciple him is hard. Not holding onto it when he makes me mad is hard. I love him so much and would do anything for him, but sometimes at the end of the day I'm just totally exhausted.
But speaking of sleeping it, we went on our yearly cabin trip with some friends over MLK weekend. It certainly was nice to stay in lounge pants all day and do nothing but talk and play games. They even had a little pool cue that was Gabriel's size
And one final thing: that cutie needs to stop falling and bonking his head! I feel like people must think that we're neglectful parents, but it seems that every day he's bruising his head on something. He's learned how to climb the stairs, so of course I was right behind him so he didn't hurt himself. So, what did he do? Fling his head sideways and bruise it on the banister. Poor guy.
And on a final note, on Christmas Eve I became an aunt again! Beautiful little Hannah Kate joined our family. I wish that I could travel to Atlanta every weekend to hold her. I have a feeling that she and Gabriel will, one day, get into plenty of mischief together!










Sorry if you get this part twice . . . I'm not sure what happened, but I must have hit a wrong key . . . so I'll say it again, All Mothers feel the same way if they are honest with themselves . . . it's difficult to be unselfish . . . and it seems to me that the Lord has made it so our kids are a part of our Sanctification! You are a wonderful Mom, so don't dwell on that, but pray for grace to put yourself aside and serve the Lord as you Mother Gabriel. I'm praying for you! Love, Claudia/Gammer
ReplyDelete