Gabriel started preschool yesterday. He is going on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for the time being. I want to say that I was emotional that he started "school" but while I was a little sad, this boy needs to be out socializing instead of talking to me all day long. Taylor dropped him off yesterday and Gabriel basically said "Bye Dad! I love you!" and then ran off to play. When I came to pick him up he was on the playground with two other boys in his class trying to flip a plastic playhouse and push it across the yard. Getting in mischief already.
Gabriel no longer regularly naps in the afternoon, but he does spend some time alone in his room while Corban takes his afternoon nap. He mostly listens to books on CD (one of his absolute favorite things to do). Right now he is constantly listening to some Beatrix Potter stories that we found at the library. Before that is was some Magic Tree House stories that he played over and over. He looks at books and mostly makes a big mess getting out things with lots of pieces (Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, his doctor kit. . .)
The above picture was earlier this month when he got the sickest I think he's been. His fever was 104 at one point. He was coughing and exhausted. I took him to the doctor just to be safe (he ended up with a virus, but this is what led to Corban catching the same thing and getting his ear infection). When the doctor was listening to his lungs the following conversation transpired:
Gabriel: "Hey, my mom has a stethoscope like yours."
Doctor: "Does she listen to you with hers too?"
Gabriel (sounding annoyed and rolling his eyes): No! She's not a doctor!
Thanks buddy.
![]() |
| Looking outside with Hannah Kate |
I'm not really sure what else to say about Gabriel. He is a constant whirlwind of energy, ideas, questions, and often tantrums and whining. I want to say that is maybe a little better the last few weeks, but it kind of comes and goes in waves. He is just the master of the meltdown. I was recently "that mom" with the child in the store screaming and kicking on the floor. We have tried different methods to deal with his emotional outbursts but who knows if it's helping or not. Three is not an easy age.
We've tried to do some fun things in the midst of a busy summer. We went to Pigeon Forge for a few days with Taylor's family. Gabriel had lots of fun going to a Lumberjack Show, riding rides, playing in the hot tub, and being with family. He got so worn out though that one day he fell asleep on Taylor during lunch (not a normal occurrence for him)
![]() |
| Riding a big Ferris Wheel |
![]() |
| Go Karts with Pop Pop |
![]() |
| Looking at some bears |
![]() |
| Both examining a plastic bear from Aunt Jessica |
On one of Taylor's off days every week we're trying to take him to do something by himself with one of us so that he gets some undisturbed attention. I couple weeks ago I took him to the transportation museum and he got to climb on some trains and watch some model trains moving, among other things.
Last weekend there was a "Touch a Truck" event at our mall. Gabriel loved the fire trucks and all of the other big machines too. Not strange for him, but I think his favorite was a jeep that he kept climbing into. He kept sticking his head out the window and ordering a pizza from me like we do at Little Caesars.
![]() |
| He tried to find the seat belt in every vehicle he got in. Safety first |
Last week Gabriel also finished up his summer swim lessons. He loves the water but is terrified of getting his ears wet (this is a problem in the bathtub sometimes too). I think that this got a little better over the last couple of months though.
So that is what Gabriel has been up to. As frustrating as he can be at times he really is a sweet boy. He still loves to have us read to him and pretend with him. This morning we spent most of Corban's naptime being two puppies playing in a nest on my bed. He loves Pixar movies, Chick-fil-a, peanut butter chocolate granola bars, and going to the grocery store. He likes taking things apart and trying to figure out how things work. He camped outside with Daddy last week and actually slept all night in a tent. He sometimes gets too excited with Corban, but every morning he can't wait to see his brother. He brings him toys and tries to comfort him when he's upset. He loves making him laugh. He gets excited for him when he walks and tells him often that he loves him.
We love our crazy 3 year old.













No comments:
Post a Comment