Corban had his 18 month check up on Monday. He decided to have some really good timing and have an ear infection when we went in. He had a cold the week before but really seemed fine other than that. He woke up once crying the night before his appointment but that really was the only indication that something was wrong. He's been getting teeth, so I just assumed the occasional whining was due to that. He hasn't had the best week though. One of his teeth is really causing him pain (he's actually walking around with his hand in his mouth), he is now digging in his ear, and he had to get a couple vaccines on Monday. He hasn't been in the best mood and I don't really blame him.
Besides the ear infection he's doing great. The pediatrician said that he should have about 10 words at this point, so I was trying to count them up. If animal sounds counted as words he'd have no problem. As of now he routinely says: Mama, Dada, bye, hi, nuh uh, yeah, and head. He signs for milk, more, all done, and help. He sometimes says something close to the parts of his face (eyes, nose, ears, mouth). He does a good job of communicating what he needs though. He was not very happy this morning and I guess he wanted me to sit with him, so he grabbed my hand and walked me over to the couch. Then he tried to push me down to sit. Then he climbed up with a book and sat in my lap.
The doctor didn't write down the exact percentages when we were there on Monday, but he is 35 inches (98th percentile), and 25 lb 14 oz (which she said is about the 50th). Still tall. And the hair makes him look even more so.
![]() |
| His Valentine's Day monkey friend from Gammer (and the sleep sack) |
| He has claimed Gabriel's chair as his own (with his sleep sack) |
And here are some little things about Gabriel that come to mind:
| Super Heros can often be found in our house |
Gabriel loves Super Heros. How do little boys get sucked into them without even watching them on TV? He wants to be Batman, Spider Man, The Incredibles, and many others. The other day during rest time we kept hearing a "thumping" noise. When I asked him what was going on he said that he was Spider Man and was throwing his webs against the wall (I'm still not sure what he was actually throwing against the wall to make the noise)
![]() |
| Fireman at the Children's Museum |
A few weeks ago I was in the car with Gabriel and following conversation took place:
Gabriel: when are you and Daddy going to move out of the house so I can get married and live here? I'm ready to grow up
Me: why do you want to grow up so fast and who are you going to marry?
Gabriel: so that I can reach high things. And I'm marrying Marie! We can go out to eat and someone will watch our kids
Me: how many kids do you have?
Gabriel: we don't have any yet
Me: well how many will you have?
Gabriel: two. And they will be boys. I haven't thought of their names yet though. I'll have to get a job
Me: what will you do?
Gabriel: I'll work at church
Me: that's a nice idea. You know there are other jobs too doing all kinds of things.
Gabriel: I could just get one where I help people
This is very random, but the other day when we were driving Gabriel said that he was going to make a movie. Upon further questioning I found out the following:
It's going to be in the theater in a million years.
It will be about chocolate chips that are astronauts.
The chocolate chips are scared of aliens.
Chocolate chips have very large families. One bag of chocolate chips is one entire family.
Another random thing. The other afternoon I was on the phone and Gabriel disappeared somewhere in the house. I normally think nothing of this. When it had been several minutes and it was still quiet I went searching. He was sitting in the refrigerator with him entire hand in a tub of frosting (I also have no idea how long that frosting was in there. I have no recollection of what I used it for). When I asked him what he was doing he started screaming "I was hungry!!!! I was just getting a snack!!!" He was not very happy to have to stop and wash his hands. For how annoyed I was at the time, once he went to bed that night it made me laugh. He looked with Winnie the Pooh with his hand in a honey jar.
Gabriel's new favorite toys are Playmobile. He got some knights for his birthday and a plane for Christmas. He has been working really hard at reading, so since he is halfway through the workbook we're working on we let him pick out a Playmobile toy. He plays with them so creatively. It's fun to listen to. Here he is with his new police station:
Besides Playmobile, during rest time he most often listens to CDs, plays with Legos, pretends to be a super hero, and changes his clothes. Sometimes it's into a costume. Sometimes he likes to put on a matching hat, gloves, and scarf. Most often though he just changes he clothes into some random outfit. The last few days he's also gotten dressed before he comes out of his room in the morning (he climbs his toy cubby to reach into the closet and get a shirt). A welcome change from the boy who has previously screamed when asked to change clothes in the morning.
![]() |
| "Mommy, take my picture!" |
To say Jesus is making everything work together for your good means
that not only are bad things part of his plan but also little things.
I can think of many things directions to take that thought, but as for today, my day has been made up of little things. Some are little things (or big things) that I failed at. Like when I yelled at Gabriel before his rest time. Or told him, not very nicely, to stop talking (for he is a constant stream to chatter. Mix that with a screaming brother and it's a quick trip to frustration). Our day of little things make up the bigger things. While I am too tired to expound further, it helps me to know that my little things are important to God, and that the little things that I do matter, as well as the fact that He is teaching me in these little things about my sin, my failures, and His grace and love toward me. So as to not start crying in Panera, this blog post is done. I'm not even reading any of it again for editing purposes. It is what it is.











Wow! This was so fun to read! I love all the conversations you have with Gabriel! It takes me back so many years! He is his daddy all over!!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about Corban's vocabulary. He'll talk when he should. I really enjoyed having them last week. It was so fun!!
I'm glad you read that Tim Keller quote. It gives perspective to those of us who don't feel like what we do matters. I've learned that through many years of raising 3 kids. It is really a privilege . . . Just ask anyone who can't have kids. And it doesn't last forever . . . So saver it. I'm so thankful for my time with our kids when they were little through leaving the nest. You will be too. And I'm so thankful for YOU!! They couldn't have a better mother!