Monday, June 4, 2018

Graduations

Last day of preschool
The preschool year has come to an end.  Looking at the first day of school pictures versus the last he looks so much more like a boy and not a little kid.  Part of it is probably the new haircut from earlier that week, which he loves, but he just looks more confident somehow.  He is ready to head off to kindergarten in the fall!

First day of preschool
Before we get to preschool ending though, Gabriel loves tee ball and he loves having Daddy as one of the coaches for the team.  As much as it pained Taylor to but on a "Cubs" hat, they have both enjoyed it.  A good number of the practices and games have been cancelled due to rain (the weather the last couple of months has been odd), but he's still gotten to play plenty.  In their games they play 2 innings and everyone bats in every inning.  They occasionally get an out.  They mostly just hit, run the bases, dig in the dirt in the outfield, pick at the grass, and get excited for snack afterwards.  He's on a team with a couple kids from preschool and it's just been fun to see him excited about his games and putting on his jersey.

First game!



Corban has enjoyed climbing on bleachers and
running around outside while his brother plays

Salem Red Sox game (and it was Star Wars night. 
What could be more exciting than that?)

Ok, so preschool is done for Gabriel.  They had an end of the year performance, which was so cute.  They sang lots of songs and recited scripture.  Then they all left and got on their caps and gowns and marched back it.  Each child was called up to get a superlative and a little Bible (which Gabriel likes to bring to church.  He was telling me the other day how many chapters different books have in them).  His superlative was called the "word detective" award since he is the best reader in class. 

It was sweet to see him with his friends, some of which he's been sitting at a table with for the past 2 years.  He told me last week that he missed seeing his friends at school, which made me a little sad.  He loves playing with Corban but it's not the same of course.

He made an "end of the year book" with his handprint, footprint, and some information about himself.  Last year at the end of the year he said that when he grows up he wants to be a preacher.  He made a little career change and this year he said that he wants to be a scuba diver.  I informed him that scuba divers have to routinely get their ears wet, to which he replied "I'll train a lot at the pool and I can be a scuba diver who doesn't do that."  He's got goals.


These cool guys did an army marching song about preschool


Gabriel and one of his best buddies, Addy D


Gabriel and John Paul

Brody

Gabriel and Levi.  I have heard so much about this kid over the last 2 years.  I'm not sure if Gabriel considers him one of his best buddies or his worst enemy to be honest.  They play together a lot and get in trouble together, but they also make each other really mad from what I hear.  Gabriel, Levi, and Addy D have been sitting at the same table for the entire 2 years though so when you're around someone that much you really learn how to push their buttons.
Other things about Gabriel.  He loves reading, Star Wars, Kung Fu Panda (and being one of the Furious Five), and most recently Beatrix Potter.  We have gotten the audio book set from the library many times but this time it is all that he listens to.  He wants to play Samuel Whiskers, Tom Kitten, Jeremy Fisher, and Benjamin Bunny.  He gets Corban into it too and I am frequently asked to be Anna Maria and to roll Tom Kitten up into a dumpling.  It's fun that he wants to play something that doesn't involve a super hero or a lightsaber once in a while.  Also, on a totally random note, Gabriel still frequently calls "DVDs" "DVDVs".  I noticed this last week and found it really cute and funny.



Planting flowers on Mother's Day




As I think has been the case for many people this spring, Gabriel's seasonal allergies got really bad.  He's now taking prescription allergy medicine every day until things calm down a little.  He spent almost a month snotty and his sleep interrupted by coughing.  Adults have a hard time with bad sleep, so he had an even worse time behaviorally speaking.  He's always been very strong willed with a quick temper but last month was exceptionally rough.  We actually made him an "angry spot", something I've been meaning to do for some time, where he can go when he's really worked up.  He helped me make a list of things that he can do when he's mad and we posted it in the spot along with a box of the items that he needs (CDs, pillow, stuffed animal, squishy ball, the box sits next to a shelf of books).  It remains to be seen if it will help, but we realized that he's no longer really throwing "tantrums" and that we were not doing him a service any longer by just sending him to his room to "calm down."  He needs to learn some better ways to cope and we haven't been doing a good job of teaching those to him.

Just a couple superheros playing in a sensory
bin full of beans at the Children's Museum

These boys love to play together.  Lately, besides Beatrix Potter, it has been a lot of Kung Fu Panda.  They like to slow off their Ninja moves.  They actually have some pretty good ones.  The "Secrets of the Furious Five" DVD that goes with Kung Fu Panda has a whole section about the different kinds of kung fu.  It has a tutorial for the moves too.  Gabriel even found a Billy Blanks workout video in the a drawer the other day and decided that it was his training video.  Gabriel actually came up to me the other day and said "Mom!  Have you seen these bumps all over my body?  I'm getting so many of them!"  My mind immediately went to "Oh no, do you have a rash?"  Gabriel looks at me like I had lost my mind and said "No Mom!  I'm talking about all of these muscles that I'm getting!"


Corban wanted to "train" too.  That apparently entailed putting
on one mitten, a baseball cap, and taking off his shirt.  Sure.


Playing at Virginia Techniques with Addy

Random but funny thing that I realized the other day -- for all of the events that we do around here involving the "youth group" I don't that we've ever bothered to explain to them exactly what the "youth group" actually is.  We had a couple over here the other night that are 10 years older than most of the oldest youth group kids.  When the boys went to bed one of them asked "will those youth group kids still be here in when we get up?"  I think that to them "youth group" means hanging out with people from church or something.  Oops.

Daddy's workbench

Water table fun.  They were making soup and grasshoppers
with ladybird sauce (courtesy of Mr. Jeremy Fisher)

Gabriel was drawing a map of some kind that outlined the Incredibles plan to save Frozone

Glasses from Aunt Tiffany






Elephant at the Children's Museum
Corban is one busy kid too.  Busy playing.  And doing puzzles.  That is his new favorite thing.  He's always liked puzzles, but recently he can't get enough of them.  When he's concentrating on them really hard he sticks his little tongue out to the side.  Other things that Corban is into these days: PJ Masks, singing songs, dinosaurs, his water table, reading books, romp 'n roll (which we're not going to much anymore and he misses Ms. Diana!), "golden chocolate bars" (mini snickers with gold wrappers.  His potty training reward.  The pack before had purple wrappers and were called "purple chocolate bars"), and pretending anything.  I feel like anytime we read a book or watch a show he stops halfway through to set up the pretend roles for when we're done: "Ok Mommy.  When we finish this story you will be ____ and I will be ____."

Things that Corban is not so wild about these days: my hair being wet (it really bothers him), not getting his way (he's very dramatic, is getting really good at throwing tantrums, and copies the defiant things that Gabriel says when he gets in trouble), black olives, mashed potatoes, and poison oak.   He fell in some the other day and lets just say that the reaction on his arm was immediate and unpleasant.  As far as not liking things like mashed potatoes, he told me the other day that he will like them when he turns 5. He also doesn't like it when I pretend to be surprised and open my mouth in pretend shock.  He looks at me very seriously and says, "Mom!  Please close your mouth."


Corban "graduated" from Mother's Morning Out (MMO) a few weeks ago since he'll be starting preschool a couple mornings a week in the fall.  We honestly didn't go to Gabriel's MMO graduation because I didn't see the point, but I feel like Gabriel gets to do a lot of things and Corban sometimes gets left out.  I wanted him to have something that was just his.  Once we got there though he did not want to sit with the other kids or put the hat on.  I don't really blame him.  It was weird seeing a room usually full of kids and playing full of chairs and adults.  The woman in charge, Judy, told a little story to everyone about Corban that I thought was cute.  She said one day the room was quiet and everyone was playing.  They suddenly everyone heard Corban singing a hymn.  She said he sang all the verses from start to finish.  That kid loves to sing.  He tries to sing along in church and rarely knows the words.  He just makes stuff up.  Someone tried to hand him a bulletin a couple weeks ago and he said "No thank you.  I don't need that until I sing the songs in church."



Since Gabriel wants to be a scuba diver when he grows up I asked Corban what he would like to be.  He had two answers:
1 - I will learn to play the violin so I can play the ABCs
2 - I will be a shark with big teeth


Corban has a very sweet and gentle spirit.  I hurt my leg the other day and he brought me a towel and was insistent that I blow my nose.  What he really has a spot in his heart for though is cats.  Corban loves cats.  He wants to pretend to be one so much (I frequently have to remind him not to "meow" in church).  I've asked him what his cat name is and he is insisted that it's "baby kitty cat." Some friends were watching some kittens recently and holding one was quite a treat.  He was carrying around a stuffed cat at Barnes and Noble the other day and I was dreading telling him we had to leave it.  When it was time to go I said "Corban, I know it will be hard but we have to say goodbye to the kitty."  He said "that's ok.  One day soon you can buy me a real one."


Oh his love for "sack"




These boys are energetic, creative, warm, talkative, friendly, and exhausting.  That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment