The end of the school year seemed to come so quickly. When we got back from Disney there were only three weeks left in the year. For a year when they came back after Covid shut school down the spring before I don't think the year could have gone better. They didn't have as many trips or special events, but they learned a lot and had fun too. The K-2nd grade pod was the only pod that never had to do any remote learning due to covid or covid exposure and parents were really good about keeping kids home when they were sick.
 |
Gabriel's entire class: Gabriel, Kyleigh, Sela, Callan, Chelsea, Aela, Sawyer, Grant, Mrs Carr |
I'm sure I'll say that same thing about Corban's teacher, but Mrs Carr is the best second grade teacher imaginable. Very calm and consistent, which was perfect for Gabriel. She was more than happy to implement strategies specific for him to help him learn and grow. Gabriel actually said one day "I want to stay in second grade forever. Then I can see Mrs Carr every day for the rest of my life."
 |
| Elementary Field Day |
 |
| Class party outside |
Corban learned so much in kindergarten. I am so thankful that he had Mrs Meyer just like Gabriel did because I think she's the best kindergarten teacher ever. She is so even and patient and warm. Corban gained confidence in his reading, math, and handwriting and he made good friends in his class. He told me one day "Mommy you're the nicest grown up girl I know. Addy L (a class friend) is the nicest littler girl." I had told his teacher back when school started if that at the end of the year that if she felt that he should stay in kindergarten another year after this one to let us know. We were open to the idea since he was the youngest one in class and we wanted to make sure that he was emotionally and socially ready for 1st grade. She told us in the spring that there was no way that she could keep him in kindergarten another year. He was in the highest reading group in the class and he would just be too bored staying there another year.
 |
| Readers Theater. The kids each read a book to classmates and parents |
 |
| Field trip to Crab Orchard to learn about colonial life |
 |
Learning about making butter (they also pounded out corn to make cornmeal) |
 |
| Gabriel and his best friend Grant. Grant moved to Oklahoma over the summer and thinking about that was really hard for Gabriel. He has been his most consistent friend from 1st and 2nd grade. Grant came home from school with us one day and I was listening to them talk in the back of the van and I realized how much they "got" each other and it made me sad that he had to say goodbye to such a special friend |
 |
Beach day
|
 |
Matching Pringles with Emma. This class was all about finding matches. Corban and his friend Lane, who sat at his table most of the year, used to get excited at lunch whenever their ice packs were the same color.
 | | Matching drinks with Keene |
|
 |
| Well look at that I did have one picture of Gabriel in spring soccer. I asked them both if they wanted to play soccer in the fall and their responses really fit their personality. Gabriel immediately said "yes!" Corban thought for a minute and then said "only if I have the same coach. Otherwise I'd be too nervous." |
One neat thing about them being in K and 2nd was that they were in the same pod. That means they had recess and chapel together. They played together at recess a lot of days and there were also two other sets of boys that were in both classes just like them. I think this made the transition to school much easier for Corban because he knew that he would see Gabriel every day and that his classroom was right across the hall
 |
| Taylor was out of town and I had to work. Gabriel's teacher offered to have them in her classroom 30 minutes before school because she was going to be there anyway. She sent me this picture |
 |
Gabriel up the treehouse having his last play date with Grant. They took a bag of chips and some toys and played in there for a long time |
 |
| Last day of school |
I love award day. Certain grades having certain times (the both had the same one) and they go up on stage and their teacher gives them each an award and talks about the year a little. We did this when Gabriel was in kindergarten but it was on zoom last year due to covid.
 |
| Corban and Mrs Meyer. She read that he wants to be a soccer coach when he grown up |
 |
| Gabriel and Mrs. Carr. Many of the students got an award for the subject in which they got the highest grade. Gabriel and another classmate got an award for having greater than a 95 average in all subjects |
I was sad for the school year to end because I just want them to stay with these teachers forever. I am so thankful for Dayspring, the small classes, and the wonderful teachers. They have made these early years of school enriching, positive, and fun
No comments:
Post a Comment