How this school year is done is beyond me. I seemed to go by faster than other years, especially the past couple of months. The boys each had field trips for school (Corban had 2!), spirit week/book fair, field day, and a concert and art show. In true covid life fashion a bunch of people got sick before the last week of school and therefore the last week ended up being virtual. Corban was especially bummed because his teacher had special things planned for each day the last week of school, but it ended up being a really fun week and we still got to have awards day to cap it off
Corban's class went to the Radford Planetarium and Museum and then to a park closeby for lunch. This was actually the first field trip that I could not chaperone and I felt sad about that, but he didn't seem to mind and had lots of fun. The college student running the planetarium show was asking the kids questions and apparently Corban answered most of them and added lots of tidbits that he knows about space. His teacher said that she had no idea how much he knew about it and the student in charge told Corban that he could teach the lesson for him, which he thought was funny.
![]() |
| Park time after lunch |
Gabriel's class went to Dixie Caverns, which is a series of caves about 45 minutes from here. Gabriel had gone once several years ago with Aaron and Tiffany but I had never been. Afterwards his teacher talked to the manager of Dairy Queen and he opened up the inside dining area (which hasn't been open since before covid) just for his class to come and have ice cream.
Gabriel has such a fun class of kids. They are all kind to each other (most of the time) and enjoy being together. They have all had these "big" birthday parties (at pools, museums, bowling, Virginia techniques, the trampoline park, etc) and almost all of them have come every time. They just enjoy playing together, talking, and being silly
One thing that Mrs Martin has said is that this class does NOT do well together in PE. There are a couple of very competitive kids and also some kids who don't care at all about sports. After the caves, time in the gift shop and lunch she arranged for them to play kick ball in the field like she does every year with her class. This group had a hard time and it started to fall apart. She had them all sit in the grass and talk and pray about together
The next week Corban had another field trip and this time I got to go. The mother of a classmate is the lead vet at the VT dairy so they went and got an amazing tour. Corban had so many good questions while we were there and while I didn't get to see it, she told me that the "thank you" card that Corban made for her at school was very detailed and thoughtful
![]() |
| Ice cream at Sweet Frog after the dairy tour |
The next week was field day. I came and helped for a little while in the morning. I love the spring field day because the whole school participates. Every kid from kindergarten to 12th grade is put on one of four color teams and they compete in various things in the day to earn points for their team. In the morning the elementary does games but there are high schoolers from their team helping and cheering them on. Some high schoolers even went around and painted faces before the things started. In the afternoon the whole school does some events like a tug of war and a sled race. It's great how involved everyone gets and what a fun time it is for all the ages to work together
![]() |
| Green team. I had to go to Once Upon a Child and get him a green shirt. For all the shirts we have around here we didn't have one that was even close to green |
![]() |
| Orange team |
During spirit week there was an elementary music time. We didn't get to do the one at Christmas because lots of people were sick so it was so nice to see them all singing together. Corban was especially easy to hear above the crowd. We also had time to shop the book fair, look at upper grade humanity fair projects, and look at a display of elementary artwork.
![]() |
| Malachi, Corban, and Evan. Corban is a big fan of Evan and one day he said to me "Mommy, I think that I love you as much as Evan!" |
I realize that I didn't take a picture of the boys each day of spirit week, but of course Mrs Wilson was great about taking first grade class pictures
![]() |
| Corban as Harry Potter and Gabriel dressed in his Hobbit outfit |
![]() |
| For tie dye day the boys both wore their shirts that Amelia made them for Disney last May |
And then the last week of school came and we were back on zoom. I have to say I was really mad about the whole thing for a day or so. I am tired of covid changing everything that I wanted to school year to end with all of the fun things that were planned.
However, Gabriel's class and their parents are all about communicating and making things happen. On the Monday that they did zoom in the morning a mom texted everyone and said that they were going to the pool. About half of Gabriel's class showed up. On Tuesday Aela's mom organized a party for the class at the park and every student came, including Mrs. Martin. Everyone chipped in to bring chips, drinks, and order pizza. Tabi and I got things for them to tie die shirts. The kids played for several hours and Corban had a blast because Evan and Britton in his class also have brothers in Gabriel's class so they were all there playing together
I was working and didn't see any pictures, but on Thursday Corban's class met at school and had time together playing on the playground. Gabriel also got to come and play with his friends who are siblings. I'm glad that even though the week didn't go as planned they still got to celebrate with their friends. And for Corban's class on zoom during the week his teacher was so kind of put together fun themes like she was going to do in class during the week (bubble day, beach day, camping day, birthday party day)
And finally awards day. I love ending the year this way, with each student getting a character award as well as an academic award
![]() |
| Mrs Wilson, Evan, Emma, Addy L, Britton, Addy M, Corban, Colton, Malachi |
Corban got the "Miraculous Memorizer" award for excellence in memorizing scripture, a excellence in math award (for having a 98-100 average in math all year), and the responsibility award for being a responsible student
![]() |
| Gabriel sitting with some friends during Corban's awards ceremony |
![]() |
| Shelby, Georgia, Noelani, Luke, Aiden, Mrs Martin, Callan, Isaiah, Aela, Bentley, Gabriel (I think Selah might be standing right behind Mrs Martin so we can't see her) |
Gabriel got an all around academic award for having an "A" in all subjects all year. He also got the "amazing reader" award for his love of a good book (as his teacher put it "reading one, writing one, and sharing it with your friends")
We missed getting Taylor in the picture but after awards were done we celebrated by all going to get some Chick-fil-a. Now it's on to summer!
































No comments:
Post a Comment