Friday, June 13, 2014

Pixar


I will start this post with a question.  Does the following picture make anyone besides me want to cry?


Anyway, Gabriel has his first obsession and its name is TOY STORY.  I'm not entirely sure how it started, but in all his days/weeks/months of playing with the DVDs (taking them out of the cases, reading the covers, etc) he always liked the Toy Story ones the best (thanks again Aunt Tiffany).  He would pull them off first, bring them over to show us, and spend much time "reading" them.  So, one day we watched one.  And the rest is history.  He cannot get enough Toy Story.  And while I figured he'd get sick of it after a while the fascination only seems to grow.  Mind you, we don't actually watch the movies that often, but I think he asks about 10 times a day.

In the store looking at the action figures.  I thought his mind was going to explode

Examples:
#1: We were checking out at Target the other day.  This is how the conversation progressed with the woman at the checkout:
Woman: "Hey there cutie, what's your name?"
Gabriel: "BUZZ!!!!"
Woman: ?
Me: He really likes Toy Story
Woman: "Oh, I see"
Gabriel: "WOODY!!!"
Woman: "Hmmm"
Gabriel: "JESSE!!!"

#2: We were in the store again today.  Every time we turned a corner Gabriel shouted "BUZZ!!!"  He actually does that on a routine basis at home too.  Part of his daily routine consists of finding books with Toy Story characters, getting out various playing cards with Toy Story characters, or his daily removal of the DVDs from the shelf.

#3: We have several Disney storybooks.  He finds the Toy Story ones to read and skips all the others.  He seems to pick a character a day to focus on, though Buzz is certainly the winner with Jesse coming in second.  Today I read one of the stories that doesn't have Jesse and he kept saying "Jesse, Jesse, Jesse!" until we found a story with Jesse.

And while Toy Story is certainly the winner, we at least are not without options.  We have never watched The Incredibles, but he likes to look a them in the Pixar Storybook (he for some reason always points to Mr. Incredible and says "Toby".  That's certainly not his name, but whatever he wants to call him is fine).  Then the other day he started saying "Sulley!" seemingly out of nowhere.  I think we have attempted to watch Monsters Inc and Monsters University but he never seemed to care much.  Maybe it's because he's in the Disney Pixar storybook. At any rate we were out shopping today and found the action figures on sale ($5 for both), so I decided to give them a shot.


 Gabriel has never had a comfort toy.  No blanket that calms him down.  No special item that we have to take everywhere.  I'd say that closest thing is whatever his current book obsession happens to be.  I have NEVER seen him do what he did today with these toys.  He took them everywhere.  In every room in the house.  Into the kiddie pool.  Into the storage shed.  Into the garden.  He was inconsolable when he couldn't take them to bed (he kept whimpering "Sulley, Sulley, Sulley").  I guess his parents love Disney and he's destined for the same.  What do you think would happen if I bought him the Toy Story action figures? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment