Friday, July 17, 2015

Potty Training, Movies, Cows, and Baby on the Way

I feel like every day when I do something with Gabriel lately I find myself thinking "what if this is the last time we do this together before the baby arrives?"  It makes me a little sad because he loves going out and having fun and I don't want that to change.  I'm nervous for how he'll adjust when he can't have so much attention.  I know that there are going to be lots of new things that he learns as he adjusts to our family of 4 that are good lessons, but I can't help but feel sad for his changing world.

On the other hand being pregnant with a toddler is no joke and I'm ready to meet this very active little boy that's busy growing and soon to arrive (man does he kick a LOT).  I am tired at the end of the day (or many days way before that) and Gabriel for sure doesn't stop or slow down.  I feel that I have no reason to complain because everything is going really well with the pregnancy (none of the little things that I had with Gabriel -- no significant swelling, no carpal tunnel, no blood pressure issues), but at the same time I am just plain tired and trying not to be cranky and take it out on Taylor and Gabriel.  My fuse is a little short these days I'm afraid.

Anyway, it is summer and that means there are lots of fun things to do around here (many of them free).  Gabriel has enjoyed the park, special events at the library, the pool, free movies, and the children's museum.

First movie in a theater!  Despicable Me 2.  I figured we would give a theater a try since the movie was free and if we had to leave early it wasn't a big waste of money.  He had so much fun!  Every time we drive by the theater he talks about seeing the movie and eating popcorn.  He's ready to go back.

Potty training is going ok I suppose.  I'm not sure what my expectation was for how long it's supposed to take or how many accidents are involved but overall it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  We're still working on "going #2" in the toilet but as far as the other is concerned he has very few accidents and often says "Big boys use the potty!"  I think he's proud of himself.

Loves his Daddy.  When I get him up in the morning and Taylor has already left for work the first words out of his mouth are "Daddy's at work?"  He wants to see Daddy first thing when he wakes up (which he often does and that is why he therefore misses it when it doesn't happen).  Also, he has aptly named Starburst candy "Daddy snacks."  When he sees them in the cabinet he always asks to have a "Daddy snack."

He still makes me laugh with how much he talks and the random things he says, but lately it's been a little frustrating because the answer to most questions is "I don't really know."  When I ask what he enjoyed about his day or what he played in the nursery at church the answer is often the same.  "I don't really know."  If it's a "yes or no" question he usually says "Umm. . .I think so."  It's funny but frustrating at the same time when I want to have a conversation in the car and he won't answer anything.  I think that I need to lower my expectations for leading a conversation with a two year old :)


Gabriel enjoyed dressing like a cow and getting some free Chick-fil-a.  When we walked in the manager said "are you a cow?" and he said "I want free breakfast!"  He then proceeded to "Moo" at most of the employees.  He was pretty entertaining.

So, while most of our questions are met with "I don't know", apparently we have taught Gabriel that asking lots of questions is great fun.  He is constantly asking us things that he certainly knows the answer to.  As we all sit down to eat the same food he will ask "Mommy, what are you eating?" or "Daddy, what are you drinking?"  He sees colors that he knows and asks "Is this marker blue?"  He was eating some soup the other night and said "Is this a noodle in here?"  I guess we ask him so many things that he wants to interrogate us the same way.  Example below.  He individually pulled the sprinkles off of his donut and asked "Is this sprinkle blue?" followed by "Is this sprinkle pink?" and so on through every color, all of which he already knew.

We've been reading "If You Give a Dog a Donut" a lot this week, so when he asked for one this
morning I thought it a reasonable request.  He also wanted to eat it
 "in the gazebo in the big park."  Sounds good to me.
So that is all for now.  Just trying to stay caught up with things since who knows when little boy #2 will come to say "hello". . .

No comments:

Post a Comment