Monday, October 12, 2015

What a Difference a Smile Makes

Corban (now 7 weeks old) started smiling and cooing a good bit in the last few days.  Of course it's almost impossible to catch a picture of such an event, as every time I grab a camera his eyes get wide and he stares at me with a blank expression.  Still though, when he's crying or won't nap when he's obviously tired it's nice to get a little reward with the knowledge that he is on occasion pleased enough to give us a smile.

Sleepy grin

Loves the bathtub, especially having his hair washed and combed

Makes noises at himself in the mirror and seems to have the
most to "say" to me right after I change his diaper

Wide eyes
He still tends to flip out, especially before going to sleep.  He will be fine, no yawning or signs that he's tired, and then suddenly he's beyond upset.  We usually have to hold him really tightly for a while as he struggles and flips out and he eventually relaxes to the point that you can put him down to sleep.  You can put him down awake, but you just have to hold him until he finishes flipping out and then he'll put himself to sleep.  It's really strange to me.  So, napping is still a bit of a mystery, but he's sleeping well at night if you ask me.  He goes to bed somewhere between 7:30-9 (depending what's going on around here).  Sometimes I feed him before I go to bed a couple hours after that.  He usually wakes up somewhere between 3:30-5 and eats and then goes back to sleep for a few more hours.  I'm still trying to figure out how to handle bedtime around here.  I certainly want Corban to go to bed before Gabriel, but it's hard to put him to sleep while Gabriel is barging in trying to help.  Tonight I just put Corban in his bouncer while his hyper brother got his bath and stories and then calmly got him to bed after that.  We'll figure it out eventually.

Both boys doing some tummy time.  Gabriel likes to participate and even asks when we're going to do it.

Gabriel "painting" the car
Corban and I finally went to church this past Sunday.  We were trying to wait until he was closer to 2 months old just to avoid the germs.  We made it.  I came home with a headache, but as awful as it sounds, I'm just glad that the first time is over with.  We will get into a grove there too hopefully. We have been working on Gabriel coming to the service for worship and then going back to toddler nursery during the sermon.  Some weeks he's happy to stay and other weeks it's a challenge.  He's much better about not talking then when we started but he still can't hold still.  With Corban there he of course wanted to look at him and be in his face like he is at home, so that created a new challenge.  After Gabriel went back to nursery Corban and I hung out in the "cry room" and had a peaceful time.

Heading out the door
Hanging out during the sermon
After the service Gabriel decided to put on a little performance.  He sang "Come Thou Fount" and then asked anyone listening (which was me and a college girl that he really adores) to "Please be seated."  He told me on the way home that he was Pastor Chris and was telling us all about Jesus.  I asked what he was telling us about Jesus, to which he responded, "I don't really know."
All in all, I think we're adjusting all right to our new family of 4.  Some days are more difficult than others (especially later in the day when people are tired and cranky -- me included).  I'm going back to work one day a week on Wednesday, so that will be an adjustment too.  I know the boys will be fine here with me being gone a little bit though.  Super dad has it all under control.  As tiring as they can be I am so thankful for my house full of guys.  What a blessing they are. 






2 comments:

  1. Gabe and Corban are such cuties! I hope you get some good nights of sleep soon, and that all the transitions will work out.
    God Bless,
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete