So, Gabriel started Kindergarten a week ago, but before I get to that a couple things about Gabriel over the summer.
First, at the beginning of the summer, Gabriel loved T-Ball. He's already said that he wants to play again next year. Here he is with his end of the season trophy:
Gabriel still loves reading. Here he is reading a book to Gammer. He's getting more comfortable just picking up a book and reading it himself, or reading things that he sees while we're out doing things. A couple Sundays ago he picked up a brochure about the church in the lobby and was reading it to another one of the kids (he especially liked the part where it listed the pastors and he was reading about his own dad). Over the summer his favorite book that we read together was "The Mouse and the Motorcycle."
Over the past months Gabriel has also really started liking to draw. He's always liked to paint, but the drawing really took off. He'll sit and draw in church sometimes and he actually asks to color, something that he rarely did before. I know that many kids draw people with all of their arms and legs from a very young age, but I am still surprised when I see such artwork from him, though it happens frequently now. He also likes to get scissors and make random things out of paper and tape. It's fun to see his creative expression as he makes random rocket ships and cars out of nothing but paper and tape.
![]() |
| From left to right: Daddy, Mommy, Gabriel, Corban |
Gabriel still enjoys his afternoon "quiet rest time" and I really think that this is the thing that he has missed most the last week since he started school. During the summer he was staying in his room for about 2 hours mostly listening to CDs, building with Legos, and making forts. He was so excited that he found a classical station on the radio and listened to that sometimes too.
As much as Gabriel enjoys his quiet times, he is also incredibly social. He quickly learns other kids names in whatever class or activity that he's doing and enthusiastically says "HI!" the next time that he sees them. We were at Waffle House one day for breakfast and he spent more time talking to the employees than to me. He was asking them about how they were making things and talking to them about his love of bacon.
Gabriel still loves super heroes of all sorts more than just about anything else. You can never go wrong with a cape, a mask, and some kind of weapon.
Another thing that he really finds fun is cooking (in small amounts). He likes to find random recipes from his Highlights magazine and bring them out for us to try. We've had some good ones and some weird ones, but he always tries what he makes. Here he is making a cake for Taylor's birthday. He really wanted to make a carrot cake and then use icing to make orange carrots on top.
Gabriel still throws a lot of fits, has a quick temper, and is very strong willed, but a couple people have pointed out lately that he seems to be getting better in regards to these things. It's nice to hear that because it's hard to see that being with him as much as we are. As frustrating as he can be, he is so witty, creative, and kind. I am often amazed at the sweet things that he does or says to Corban. He loves his brother. He really listens to people and remembers what they say. When something is sad he picks up on it and can show compassion. He has many amazing qualities and it's neat to see them developing more. Also, he physically grew a lot this summer. I don't know in inches but his clothes went up a size and he just looks more like a leaned out boy.
![]() |
| Just hanging around with his Toy Story shirt, Ninja hat, goggles, Lightning McQueen slippers, and Spiderman lunchbox |
Two other random thoughts that come to mind. Gabriel still wants to show almost everyone who comes over his bunk bed. He has had that bed for over 3 years. He has showed it to some people multiple times. He is proud of having that bed.
A few weeks ago a friend of his, Mathias (who he always holds hands with while going to Children's worship), needed help tying his shoe at church. Gabriel, who has no idea how to tie shoes, says "I can help you with that!" After working on it for a while and getting nowhere he said to the Children's Worship leader "Mr Johnson, can you finish up here? I'm getting a little tired." I'm glad he was willing to help even though he had no idea what he was doing.
![]() |
| Trampoline park with his good friend Addy |
![]() |
| Dressed like a super hero and playing in something that Daddy built at the Children's Museum |
And now kindergarten. Below is the paper that Gabriel did to bring to the first day of school (his teacher gave it out at the orientation night). He drew himself and our family. His favorite color is red. And he feels proud when playing T-ball.
He was a little nervous the first day, but after I walked him down to his class and stayed for a few minutes he said that I could go. When we went to the orientation day the previous day he would not let go of me, so I was a little concerned, but when he got home after the first day he said "I love kindergarten! I can't wait to go back tomorrow!" The transition has gone much better than I thought it would (so far). I know that he's tired from not having as much rest and constantly interacting all day, but he's really done pretty well. He's been getting up and getting ready on time (we have to leave the house about 45 minutes before we have in the past). He likes going to the "special" things that happen on various days (library, art, PE, music, STEM, chapel). He got really excited when I came to be the lunch helper today and was showing me all around his classroom. He said that he likes reading book to the other kids. He's found a first grader at recess that likes to play super heroes with him. He likes bringing his lunch every day and even told me that he likes it when I leave him notes in there.
![]() |
| First day class picture |
So, there is a lot of transition going on over here. It's both sad and exciting to see him growing in independence and confidence. He's so far enjoying this new phase and I'm proud of him for being brave and venturing out into the school world.
![]() |
| Ice cream to celebrate the first day of school and Corban's birthday |

















No comments:
Post a Comment